My Life Charger...

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Mind Power – Mental Vs. Physical Training

There was an experiment done on how mental training compares with actual physical training. A group of men were divided randomly into three basketball teams. They were asked to shoot from the free throw line and their scores were recorded. For the next three weeks, each team went through a different training routine.

The first team physically trained for 4 hours. The second team did not physically shoot any hoops but imagined themselves shooting perfectly for 2 hours a day. The third team was the control group so they were asked not to train at all.

After 3 weeks, they were retested and their scores recorded. The first team that trained physically scored an average improvement of 30%. The second team that trained mentally also scored an average improvement of 30%. The third team showed no signs of improvement at all. The experiment showed that mental training is amazingly as effective as actual physical practice. If you were to combine both, your performance would truly be astounding.

This story really inspires me on the importance of mental image as I have learnt that our subconscious mind cannot differentiate real image or vividly imagined experience. If I am able to create a mental video of the goal or result I wanted, and keep playing the mental video in my mind, I can stimulate my nerve, and provide me that kind of exciting energy to take action to achieve my goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home