My Life Charger...

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Why get married?


Yesterday I received a wedding dinner invitation from a high school friend called Ching Fang. It's nothing special since she's not the first friend of mine getting marry. She'll get married and follow her husband and moved to Kelantan. Not to say it's need time to adapt living with father and mother-in-law, but now another thing is new environment from City to urban area. I'll wish her all her best in her life journey, and new chapter of life for her.

During our chat, I try to ask a question that i heard in a motivation seminar. I asked, "Why are you getting marry?" She replied, "I wanted a family, and this is the life journey we'll go through." It sounds normal for most of us, as this is really a life journey most of us will go through. Then, I started to recall the story a speaker told us in the seminar, Mr. Gan.

Mr. Gan has an old friend single, more than 40 years old. Let's called him, Alan. One day, Alan invited Mr. Gan to his wedding dinner. Mr. Gan congratulate his friend Alan, and asked "Why are you getting married, Alan?" To Alan surprised, he asked Mr. Gan, "What do you mean? I over 40 years old already, of course have to get marry... Everyone marry what, then of course I must marry also."

Sometimes, some of us marry because it's time to get marry, or most of our friends already get married or getting marry. It seems weird that we are still single? Is this the a good reason to get marry, as there will be a lot of challeges ahead of a marriage? I'm not discouraging getting marry, it just that this reason alone is not strong enough to get marry to Mr. Gan; and, I agree with him.

Perhaps, a good reasons to get marry is, "I loved him/her so much that I wanted to spend all my life with him." and not because, "I'm old enough to get marry, or my mother tell me that s/he is good and we should get marry... etc"

Anyway, there is no right way or wrong way, it just something to ponder about when we come by this junction of life and we have some decision to made.

All the best wishes to you my friend...

2 Comments:

  • I heard a pretty good explanation of why married someone.

    "Becoz I know I will treat that someone very good, if I allowed he/her to be with someone else, It is not assured."

    By Blogger Kay, at 7:45 PM  

  • The reason 'I loved him/her so much that I wanted to spend all my life with him' seems good but it could be done by not getting married also :).
    I think marriage is a commitment/assurance that you gave your partner to show the sincerity in wanting to spend all the life with her and it does bring the relationship to another stage.

    By Blogger JARJAR, at 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home